What’s Up in the Sky – June 2022
AAA Observers’ June Guide
June’s Evening Planets: Saturn is in Capricornus the Sea-goat as of midnight and rising earlier every night. Dwarf Pluto will be in Sagittarius the Archer as of 1 AM and rising earlier every night until 11 PM by the end of June.
June’s Evening Stars: Spot the Summer Triangle of Vega in Lyra the Harp, Deneb in Cygnus the Swan, and Altair in Aquila the Eagle. Look for reddish Antares in Scorpius the Scorpion, Arcturus in Boötes the Herdsman, Spica in Virgo the Maiden, along with the stars of constellations Lyra, Hercules, Scorpius, Sagittarius, Libra, Leo, Cepheus, Ophiuchus, Cassiopeia, Draco, and Ursa Major and Ursa Minor (the Big and Little Dippers).
June’s Morning Planets: Bright Venus will be up around 4 AM moving between Cetus the Sea monster and Taurus the Bull. Find red Mars in Pisces the Fish as of 3 AM and rising earlier every morning until 1 AM by the end of June. Mercury will be in Taurus staring the second week of June, as of around 5 AM. Jupiter is in Pisces and Saturn is in Capricornus, lingering until sunrise. Neptune is in Aquarius the Water Bearer as of 2 AM and rising earlier every night. Uranus will be in Aries the Ram as of 5 AM and rising earlier every day. Dwarf Pluto will be in Sagittarius until dawn.
June’s Morning Stars: The Summer Triangle of Vega in Lyra, Deneb in Cygnus, and Altair in Aquila will be up until sunrise. This month, look for Arcturus in Boötes, Capella in Auriga the Charioteer along with the stars of constellations Hercules, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Pegasus, Perseus, Andromeda, Capricornus, Cepheus, Ophiuchus, Cassiopeia, Draco, Ursa Major, and Ursa Minor (the Big and Little Dippers).
- June 1 Moon at apogee (252,400 miles away)
- June 7 First Quarter Moon at 10:50 AM
- June 14 Full Moon at 7:50 AM – Super Strawberry Moon
- June 14 Moon at perigee (222,100 miles away)
- June 20 Last quarter Moon at 11:10 PM
- June 21 Summer solstice – longest day of 2022
- June 25 Mercury, Venus, Moon, Uranus, Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, and Saturn line up – Predawn
- June 28 New Moon at 10:50 PM
- June 29 Moon at apogee (252,600 miles away)
Times given in EDT.