Join the Amateur Astronomers Association at historic Floyd Bennett Field for free monthly observing sessions, open to the public! Note: all events are 30 minutes after sunset. To calculate sunset, click here.
Floyd Bennett Field is part of Gateway National Park, Brooklyn. NOTE: Events are cancelled in the event of rain/snow, if sky is overcast, or if there is snow covering the ground.
The observing location at Floyd Bennett Field is next to the Community Garden. It is within walking distance of the Q35 bus, and there is ample parking for cars. This location is also easy for people to find in the dark, as it is next to the Community Garden.
Travelling by car:
- Drive south on Flatbush Avenue. The entrance to Floyd Bennett Field is just before the toll plaza for the Marine Parkway Bridge. There is a traffic light at this intersection.
- Make the left turn at the traffic light just before the toll plaza, and enter the Park.
- Approximately 1,000 feet down there is a Left-turn intersection. Make the hard left turn.
- 3/10 mile is an entrance in the fenceline on the left side. Turn off headlights and leave running lights on and slowly turn into the lot.
- If you get to the Floyd Bennett Garden Association, YOU WENT TO FAR. (If you are coming from the other direction inside the Park, pass it and the entrance will be on the right.)
Travelling by mass transit:
- The Q35 bus connects with the Nostrand Avenue terminal for the 2 and 5 subways. Take the bus to the last stop in Brooklyn, just before the toll plaza.
- After exiting the bus, cross Flatbush Avenue and follow the directions above.