AAA Observers’ September Guide
September’s Evening Planets: Bright Jupiter will in Pisces the Fish and Saturn will be in Capricornus the Sea-goat all night. Red Mars will be in Taurus the Bull as of 11 PM and rising earlier every night until 10 PM by the end of the month. Uranus will be in Aries the Ram as of 10 PM and rising earlier every night. Neptune is in Aquarius the Water Bearer all night. Dwarf Pluto is in Sagittarius the Archer all night.
September’s Evening Stars: Spot the Summer Triangle of Vega in Lyra the Harp, Deneb in Cygnus the Swan, and Altair in Aquila the Eagle all night, every night. Capella in Auriga the Charioteer will be up around 10 PM and linger all night. Antares in Scorpio the Scorpion will be up until around 9 PM. Spot the stars of constellations Andromeda, Cassiopeia, Perseus, Cepheus, Hercules, Pegasus, Draco, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Capricornus and Ursa Major and Ursa Minor (the Big and Little Dippers).
September’s Morning Planets: Venus will be up as of 5 AM in Leo the Lion in the first week of September. Bright Jupiter will in Pisces and linger until sunrise. Saturn will be in Capricornus until 5 AM and setting earlier every night. Mars will be in Taurus until sunrise. Neptune will be in Aquarius and Uranus will be in Aries until the morning.
September’s Morning Stars: Sirius, the brightest star viewed from Earth, will be up around 4:00 am every morning, and earlier every day rising at 2:00 AM by the end of September. Spot Capella in Auriga, and the stars of Aquarius, Cetus, Taurus, Gemini, Orion, Pegasus, Andromeda, Cassiopeia, Cepheus, Draco, Perseus, and Ursa Major and Ursa Minor (the Big and Little Dippers).
- Sep 3 First Quarter Moon at 2:10 PM
- Sep 7 Moon at perigee (226,500 miles away)
- Sep 8 Mars is 4° above Aldebaran
- Sep 10 Full Moon at 6:00 AM
- Sep 15 Mars, Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn line up – midnight
- Sep 15 Neptune closest to Earth in 2022
- Sep 16 Neptune at opposition
- Sep 16 Moon is 4° above Mars
- Sep 17 Last Quarter Moon at 5:50 PM
- Sep 19 Moon at apogee (251,400 miles away)
- Sep 22 Autumnal equinox at 9:04 PM
- Sep 25 New Moon at 5:55 PM
- Sep 26 Jupiter at opposition, closest to Earth since 1963